Here comes summer!
It truly feels like summer when you are outside with family, barbecuing juicy meats and tender vegetables, with the best part of warm-weather dining, comes at the end of the meal: dessert!
This Roasted Strawberry-Rosemary Cake starts with a moist, buttery, rich cake, that overflows with a combination roasted strawberries, and savory rosemary. The rosemary is subtle addition, and secondary to the intense flavor of the strawberries to this delicious cake.
Quick and easy to baked in a pie pan, always a summertime hit!
See ya in the kitchen!
1 lb fresh strawberries
3 tablespoons + 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
Pinch sea salt or kosher salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 sprigs fresh rosemary or 1 tablespoon, chopped, fresh
2 tsp lemon juice
Preheat oven to 425F (218C). Rinse, pat dry, hull and halve strawberries.
In a bowl, toss together strawberries, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract. Transfer the strawberry mixture to a baking pan. Add rosemary sprigs to baking pan and lightly mix to combine.
Place baking pan into the oven and roast strawberries for 10 – 12 minutes. Strawberries should be tender, but not mushy. Remove from oven and set on cooling rack to cool. Once cool, drizzle in 1 tsp of lemon juice and then carefully pour the roasted strawberry juices into a bowl. Add 1 tsp lemon juice to the bowl and mix together the juices and strawberries.
For the Cake:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pie plate
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch pie plate. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl.
- Put butter and 1 cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low; mix in egg, milk, and vanilla
- Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour mixture. Transfer batter to buttered pie plate. Arrange strawberries on top of batter, (reserving 1/3 cup to add on top when baked.) Sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over berries.
- Bake cake 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Bake until cake is golden brown and firm to the touch, about 1 hour. Let cool in pie plate on a wire rack. Before serving, add the reserved strawberry on top, or with each serving.Cut into wedges and enjoy!